Sunday, August 12, 2012

Things Israelis Say On a Date

On a first or second date, there is a fine line between getting to know the person who sits before you, and crossing into the 'too-personal zone'. I find that Israeli men tend to live to the reputation of 'dugri' even when it comes to dating. However, many times, especially from an American perspective, such direct talk can be jarring, stifling, tactless and very much over the boundaries of first date small-talk.

I've come up with a short list, which I hope will be a work in progress (actually, no I definitely do not want to continue facing such questions). I'd appreciate hearing any feedback on appropriate responses.

1. Do you rent your apartment or own?
2. How religious are you? What length are the skirts you wear?
3. How much do you pay in rent?
4. Which kupat holim do you have?
5.(Upon learning my parents are divorced): Who do you live with? Are you in touch with your father/mother? Why did they get divorced?

Ok I'm done for now. Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

  1. 1. Doesn't really bother me, but I guess I could see that it kind of means "can you afford to own an apartment in Jerusalem?" and is a little personal.
    2. NOT a first date question!
    3. So Israeli and I can't handle it. MYOB!
    4. Umm...weird question.
    5. Yes, way too personal for a first date.

    I guess I don't date Israelis as often as you do :)

    ReplyDelete